FAQ: Can we start building the station/tower even though the construction permit has not yet been granted?
No. That is considered "premature construction". Premature construction is prohibited pursuant to Section 319(a) of the Communications Act.
However, the FCC does tolerate certain activities prior to a construction permit grant, including:
- Site clearance,
- Pouring of concrete footings for a tower,
- Installation of a tower base and anchors,
- Installation of a new power line,
- Purchase and on-site storage (but not installation) of radio equipment, and
- other preliminary steps having no intrinsic broadcast use.
Pre-authorization construction of towers or installation of radio antennas, however, is strictly prohibited.