REC LPFM Advisory Letter #14 - STAs, Silent Notifications, Resumption of Operations, Digital Notifications and Call Sign Requests
Updated June 8, 2022
The following types of applications for LPFM stations are now being handled in LMS:
- Special Temporary Authority (STA) for either technical or legal purposes.
- Reduced Power Notifications to inform the FCC that due to a technical issue, the station needs to operate at a reduced power for a certain amount of time.
- Notifications that a station has been silent for at least 10 days.
- STA requests to go silent for a period exceeding 30 days.
- Requests to extend an STA (technical, legal or for a silent station) if the original STA was filed in LMS (see note below about STAs originally requested in CDBS or through the interim manual process).
- Notification of Resumption of Operations.
To access these forms, click on "Facilities" and then click on your Facility ID, then click on the blue Application drop down box to view the choices available.
Extensions of STAs originally filed in CDBS or the interim email process
If your station is already on an STA and you need to extend it, use the process above to request a new STA (not an extension) and explain in an exhibit that the application is for an extension. Include the CDBS file number of the original STA request.
LPFM stations are authorized by rule to operate HD Radio. Within 10 days of commencing hybrid HD Radio operations, a notification needs to be filed with the FCC. While LMS supports digital notifications for full-service FM stations, it does not for LPFM stations. Staff has been notified by REC of this issue. For now, if you need a Digital Notification filed, please contact REC for assistance at no fee (but a donation is always appreciated).
At this time, the FCC has an interim process where call sign reservation requests had to be mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective on Wednesday, June 22, 2022, this functionality is moving to LMS. To request a call sign change after June 22, access LMS and click on "Facilities", click on the Facility ID and then click on the blue File an Application button. Mouse over the call sign choice for a list of options.
Receiving REC Advisory Letters by RSS
If you are using newsreader software or certain e-mail clients such as Mozilla Thunderbird, you can set it up to receive these bulletins as an RSS news feed. The feed URL is: https://recnet.com/taxonomy/term/76/feed
Original version: January 12, 2022